How do I re-attach delaminated waxless skis?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

matthewcornell
xcskiforum 10K

How do I re-attach delaminated waxless skis?

Postby matthewcornell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Folks. This is my first post! I have some waxless xc skis that have lost their bottom surface (I don't know the terminology) - it has peeled off. I thought I'd use one of the glues I have around to reattach it. The mating surfaces are smooth plastic. I have Amazing Goop, Gorilla 5 minute epoxy, and Gorilla glue. What do you think I should use? I figured I should: scratch up the two surfaces (?), applying the glue, and clamp a board along the length while it cures. The curled tip might need rubber bands or something creative. Thanks!

nxski
World Cup

Re: How do I re-attach delaminated waxless skis?

Postby nxski » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:27 pm

A slow cure 2 part epoxy is what you want to repair delamination, but you won't have much success if it's peeled back more than about 6". What brand are these? Madshus Voss by chance? What we've found is that they will end up delaminating again if you try to glue them back on and it generally happens when you're quite far out into the trails.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

matthewcornell
xcskiforum 10K

Postby matthewcornell » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:09 pm

nxski wrote:A slow cure 2 part epoxy is what you want to repair delamination, but you won't have much success if it's peeled back more than about 6". What brand are these? Madshus Voss by chance? What we've found is that they will end up delaminating again if you try to glue them back on and it generally happens when you're quite far out into the trails.

Thanks for your reply. Re: brand - sure enough: I should have said they are Madshus Voss MG, purchased locally on advice from the salesperson. I'm guessing that this brand has a poor reputation? If you were buying again, what would you recommend for the casual xc skier? Cheers. --matt

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:57 pm

matthewcornell wrote:
nxski wrote:A slow cure 2 part epoxy is what you want to repair delamination, but you won't have much success if it's peeled back more than about 6". What brand are these? Madshus Voss by chance? What we've found is that they will end up delaminating again if you try to glue them back on and it generally happens when you're quite far out into the trails.

Thanks for your reply. Re: brand - sure enough: I should have said they are Madshus Voss MG, purchased locally on advice from the salesperson. I'm guessing that this brand has a poor reputation? If you were buying again, what would you recommend for the casual xc skier? Cheers. --matt

You'll have to throw those away unfortunately, it was a defective glue they used. The new Voss is going to be a good one if you like that style of ski.

Nick Spurling

greif
xcskiforum 10K

Postby greif » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

If it is in the back of the ski, maybe you have nothing to lose by adding a countersunk screw through the ski in addition to the slow cure epoxy. Maybe OK in front now that I think of it. Brass or stainless, nut and lockwasher on the top side. Make a good pair of rock skis!

matthewcornell
xcskiforum 10K

Postby matthewcornell » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:54 am

greif wrote:If it is in the back of the ski, maybe you have nothing to lose by adding a countersunk screw through the ski in addition to the slow cure epoxy. Maybe OK in front now that I think of it. Brass or stainless, nut and lockwasher on the top side. Make a good pair of rock skis!

Good idea. Unfortunately, the entire bottom has come off one ski, and it's buckling (humping?) on the other. I wonder if I can get the company to give me a credit or discount.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:37 pm

matthewcornell wrote:
greif wrote:If it is in the back of the ski, maybe you have nothing to lose by adding a countersunk screw through the ski in addition to the slow cure epoxy. Maybe OK in front now that I think of it. Brass or stainless, nut and lockwasher on the top side. Make a good pair of rock skis!

Good idea. Unfortunately, the entire bottom has come off one ski, and it's buckling (humping?) on the other. I wonder if I can get the company to give me a credit or discount.

The company won't warranty them, it's been a bone of contention and is one of the main reasons why our store no longer carries Madshus (with the exception of the new Voss). The shop that sold them to you will often give you a reduced price though. For our customers, we offer a reduced rate on the skis and will switch the bindings over free of charge.

Nick Spurling

matthewcornell
xcskiforum 10K

Postby matthewcornell » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:44 pm

nxski wrote:The company won't warranty them, it's been a bone of contention and is one of the main reasons why our store no longer carries Madshus (with the exception of the new Voss). The shop that sold them to you will often give you a reduced price though. For our customers, we offer a reduced rate on the skis and will switch the bindings over free of charge.

That's very helpful. Thank you. I'll see what they will do.

HammondHill
xcskiforum 10K

Postby HammondHill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi there, I thought I'd bump an old thread as I have the same question as the OP. My skis have a very small delamination on the front tip--maybe 1/2" tops. Is there a specific 2 part epoxy I should use? I assume I should give the ski plenty of time to dry. Then glue and clamp. Any other advice?

Thanks.

pcfithian
xcskiforum 10K

Postby pcfithian » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:53 pm

HammondHill wrote:Hi there, I thought I'd bump an old thread as I have the same question as the OP. My skis have a very small delamination on the front tip--maybe 1/2" tops. Is there a specific 2 part epoxy I should use? I assume I should give the ski plenty of time to dry. Then glue and clamp. Any other advice?

Thanks.

Use any 2 part epoxy in the double syringe dispensors, available at your local hardware store. Be sure to clamp thouroughly while it cures.

HammondHill
xcskiforum 10K

Postby HammondHill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Great. Thanks for the tip.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 am

A slow cure high quality epoxy is the only thing we've tried that will hold long-term. If it's less than a 6" delam, it can usually be repaired successfully. If it is the Madshus Voss discussed earlier, the repair won't last no matter what you do.

Nick Spurling

Return to “General Discussion”