Rollerskishop.com Wheel Review

Moderator: Moderator Group

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Rollerskishop.com Wheel Review

Postby E365 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:35 pm

I just got some RollerSkiShop.com rubber wheels for my Elpex F1's, so I thought I'd write a little review.

Last fall my original Elpex wheels were basically worn down to their rims. I sought out the factory replacement wheels, only to find out they are $35+ EACH!! :shock: Yeah, like I'm gonna pay $140 + tax for four little rubber wheels.

My solution last fall was to buy some 100mm urethane scooter wheels from www.discountwheelandskate.com. They were a whopping $3.25 each, and actually worked out quite well. Getting back on the trails for $20 w/shipping was certainly nice, but the 78a durometer urethane was just a bit too fast for good training. If you were to take your fastest skis of the season, and add about 10% to that speed, that's what I got with these wheels. Slight uphills were nice, but flats and downhills were just a bit too fast for my liking.

My solution this spring was to get some real rubber wheels from rollerskishop.com. They have 2 different speed wheels for now, and I chose the slowest version (Speed 3). They were "only" $14.99 each with free shipping, but that was a savings of $85 over the real-deal Elpex wheels.

I skied them today, and the speed feels about perfect for getting a good workout. I'd say they are close to a sticky/slow snow day. With the old urethane wheels I could V2 the entire course I ski on, but I had to switch to V1 for the steeper sections. My goal this off-season is to work hard on strength training, and I think these will help do the trick.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:21 pm

I've got a few hours now on these wheels, and wow are they slow. I tried a slow over-distance rollerski today, but couldn't keep my heartrate down at all. The slowest, laziest I could go, while still maintaining good technique, gave me a heartrate in the upper 70% - lower 80% range. I might have to save rollerskiing for strength and interval days, while doing something else for the over-distance days. That might be a good way to mix it up too.

trango
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trango » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:27 am

Thanks for the wheel info; I've a pair of F1s and have been considering getting a heavier set of wheels. I have the default wheels, and think they're a quite a bit too fast for my tastes.

Let us know how the rollerskishop.com wheels wear after you get some more km in.

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Well I've been on these wheels all summer long, and they're holding up really well. I just measured the wheels with a slide caliper and they are at 94mm. I never measured them before, but they are supposed to be 100mm new.

I've been on them a few hours every week for almost 6 months.

James South
xcskiforum 10K

Postby James South » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:13 pm

I purchased a set of these wheels in the spring for my Ski Skett Sharks. My Sharks came with medium-slow wheels for training, but I wanted something with a higher fun-quotient for the summer. Thus, I went with rollerskishop.com's recently released fast wheel & bearing combination (also $14.99 each with free shipping).

The wheels are excellent. The rubber is a tad harder than the wheels that came with my Sharks, and the bearings are MUCH faster. I found that I preferred the livlier feeling that the harder rubber provided (the stock Shark wheels feel downright DEAD in comparison). Also, they were pretty quick, but not as lightning fast as the urethane wheels on my buddy's Ski Skett Cobras. I put over 800k on the wheels over the summer, and the wear was no worse than what I've experienced with the stock wheels (which is very good).

Quality-wise, the rollerskishop.com wheels are as good if not better than the stock wheels....and they cost less than half the price. If you're looking to replace your 100mm rollerski wheels, don't hesitate to order these!

trango
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trango » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:42 am

Some more input on rollerskishop.com wheels.

I recently replaced the factory wheels on my Elpex F1s with the rollerskishop.com 1/2 mix ("fast" wheels on the front, "medium" on the rear). So far, so good. The 1/2 mix is about as fast as the original wheels, perhaps a touch slower. There isn't any noticeable wear yet after about 100 km of rolling.

Quite a good value for the wheels! Perhaps I'll use the cash I saved and get a set of the "slow" wheels.

Return to “Roller Skis”