It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:08 pm 
World Cup

I scored a deal today on some Rossignol R4 classic bindings for $52.50.

Now I'm puzzling over the various NNN bindings listed on the REI Web site: They show (Fischer) R4 bindings for $80, (Fischer) R3 bindings for $70, Rossignol T-4 bindings for $52, Fischer T3 bindings for $45 and Rottefella "auto tour" bindings (no letter, no number) for $45. Also, some bindings are labelled "NIS".

Should any of this mean anything to me? I threw out my old "original" NNN boots some years ago (among other reasons) because they stopped working when NNN-roman-numeral-II bindings came out. I haven't kept up with NNN bindings since then. Are there any (in)compatibility issues among NNN-denominated bindings (other than NNN-BC)?

I should also mention that I am "just" a recreational skier, not a racer. So if the R series is for racers and the T series is for tourists, am I venturing out of my league with the R4 bindings? Or is there some subtle benefit (whether or not I, as a mere tourist, can perceive it) to the more expensive NNN bindings?

Thanks to anyone who understands this stuff.

Post subject: NNN Bindings
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:45 pm 
xcskiforum 20K

The current generation of NNN bindings will work with any NNN2 boot. The only difference is with the plate of the binding. The boot attachment point is still the same. There are Skate Bindings and Classic Bindings. The skate binding is the same from any name IE: Fischer, Rossi or Rottafellor(sp). They do make a auto step in binding for Rec skiers and a manual lock binding for Skate and Classic Race. Check out www.newmoonski.com for more info.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:59 am 
World Cup

Thanks for the clarification.

It looks like I paid extra (on the racing version, as opposed to the touring version) for the privilege of being able to open and close the binding manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:50 am 
World Cup

I believe that the big difference between the R3 and R4 series of binding is the NIS plate, and the binding mount to the ski. The R4 is an NIS mount only, whereas the R3 needs to be drilled/screwed to the ski. From a boot standpoint, Jeff is correct, there is no change, and any modern NNN boot will work.

http://www.rottefella.com/english/start.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:12 am 
World Cup

I take it that NIS involves a mounting plate that is attached to the ski without putting screws into drilled holes. So how does the NIS plate get onto the ski? Is the mounting plate already on the skis when I buy them? Should I make sure that I don't buy skis that are lacking this mounting plate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:45 am 
Ski Forum God

If you decide to get skis without the plate I have bindings new in box you can have for very cheap. :) I have used too for even cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:54 am 
World Cup

LewLasher wrote:
I take it that NIS involves a mounting plate that is attached to the ski without putting screws into drilled holes. So how does the NIS plate get onto the ski? Is the mounting plate already on the skis when I buy them? Should I make sure that I don't buy skis that are lacking this mounting plate?

You are correct, the NIS plate is bonded to the ski at the factory, and the binding clips onto the plate--if memory serves, NIS plates can be found on some/all models from the following vendors:

Fisher
Rossignol
Mashus
Peltonen (not available in the US)

If you're going to use an R4 binding you need a ski with the plate, if the ski is not so equipped, simply use the R3 binding.

If you use the Salomon system, you can still attach a profil or pilot binding by drilling into the NIS plate. According to the folks down at FinnSisu, this works very well.

HTH

Eric